Sunday, September 7, 2014

Let's Talk About Sex...and Grammar!

I don't consider myself a grammar nazi, but I do dislike it when words are used inappropriately.  For example: not many people know that "provocative" simply means to provoke a reaction.  It does not necessarily refer to the sensual.  And when we are talking about finding out the SEX of your baby, a lot of people use the word "gender".  This is incorrect.  Gender refers to a person's societal role.  The correct use of the word gender would be something like, "My nursery closet is full of gender-appropriate clothing for my baby."  But when we are referring to actual body parts, the correct term is sex.

Apparently this offends people!  I will say it again: sex sex sex!  I'm sorry!  But this is the proper term for what is between your baby's legs.  If you wanted to find out their gender, you'd have to get a better ultrasound so you could see whether they are indeed wearing a pink or blue onesie in there! Haha!

It just amuses me that people go to such great lengths to avoid saying a simple word.  It's just a word.  It won't bite you!  So go ahead and say you are finding out your baby's sex, and annoy all the prudes with your correct word usage!

No comments:

Post a Comment