Thursday, April 18, 2013

Hotter Than The Sun

"You know," I said matter-of-factly as my husband was teaching Science to our 3rd grader, "lightning strikes are hotter than the surface of the sun."

My husband said "Uh huh.  Wait, what??  That's totally impossible.  I've seen people who were struck by lightening.  They only had 3rd degree burns.  They'd be obliterated.  Their skull would melt!"

"Nope," I asserted, "It's true.  I heard it somewhere."

"Where - from who?  Who said this ridiculous thing?"

"I don't know.  Somewhere.  Maybe on PBS."

My husband scoffs, "Impossible!  Nothing on Earth is that hot!"

At this point I'm starting to doubt myself, especially since I can't remember the source.

 "Maybe you're right. But before you judge, look it up!"

My husband reluctantly opens a tab on the computer.  "Okay," he sighs, "I'll humor you.  Maybe I can find out where this myth came from."

So it turns out that it's true.  More than 5 times hotter.  You know what's even hotter than that?

Hearing my husband say that I'm right.  And dancing the "I told you so" dance.

I heard a food-for-thought type of question recently that was a no-brainer, it's supposed to make you think twice about your bad attitude I think.  But it doesn't work.  It goes something like, "Do you want to be right, or do you want to be kind?"

Umm...duh!  I want to be right!

No comments:

Post a Comment